Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Friday, November 30, 2007

Castle in Autumn











This week has been very quiet at school. I had classes only on Tuesday. The students were testing from Wednesday – Friday, which means I have no classes and sit at my desk bored to death. Luckily on Thursday, my supervisor signed me up to attend a presentation at a nearby elementary school. In the morning, I went to the Wakayama Castle and took pictures of fall leaves. The day was very cloudy, but the leaves still looked beautiful. I enjoy being only a short walk from the castle.
Then I headed over to the elementary school where the 6th graders told us about different things in Wakayama. We sampled some food, they taught us a traditional dance, we learned some Wakayama dialect, and how to properly eat a mikan (Wakayama style). All this was in English, and they did an amazing job! I was so surprised at their level of English. It is much higher than the Jr. high school kids I work with, and they had so much energy and enthusiasm. I really miss working with elementary school kids.

Which brings me to an important decision that I am thinking about. Next year. I have really enjoyed this opportunity to live and work in Japan, and I am so lucky that I still have a job to return to when I go back to San Diego. So, do I end this journey in Japan and head back to teaching in California, or do I stay another year? If I stay another year, some things will be different here. Wakayama City is going to cut the JET Programme, so instead I would work directly for Wakayama City as a private ALT (Assistant Language Teacher). The pay is lower and I may have to move to a different apartment, but I would be able to work with a few elementary schools in addition to the Jr. high schools.
Pluses to living in Japan: I enjoy traveling around and living in a new place. I like my apartment. I meet some nice people. I have a super easy job. I like the funny English. I don’t have much responsibility.
Why I want to leave: Japanese bureaucracy drives me insane. People still stare at my like I don’t belong here. It would nice to feel literate again. I am nervous my managers will find out about Sumi. I don’t know if National City will keep letting me take leaves of absence. I miss my own classroom. I don’t like being an assistant. I miss having a car when it’s either really hot or really cold and/or it rains.
That’s all I can think of for now. I guess I am leaning towards coming home, but I have not decided for sure.
Please send me some comments and tell me what you think!

4 Comments:

  • I worry about your retirement if you do not put enough money into the California Teacher's Retirement System.
    I know you are young but the money counts a lot when it comes to retirement. I wish I had put more into STRS.

    Besides, you will have a new member of the family here, and your family misses you.

    I love the autumn pictures. They are spectacular!
    Love,
    Aunty Marian

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, December 01, 2007 4:32:00 AM  

  • Although a little nervous, your mom is so proud of all the things you've done this past year. She knows you'd probably love to stay a little longer. She misses you a lot and wishes you were closer to home but of course will support whatever you decide.

    Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!guess who? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, December 01, 2007 12:27:00 PM  

  • It sounds like fun but feeling literate is a wonderful thing. And being stared at sounds like a pain, I'll let you know when I get there. :) And it would be nice to be able to see you more often, I can only afford to go to japan once. :) But how often do these chances come around?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, December 01, 2007 5:52:00 PM  

  • Having never lived anywhere else, I can't help but feel more is better. And it will be kind of a letdown, coming back to the plain old US. But I suppose three years in Japan wouldn't be a whole lot better than two, and, over all, the reasons for coming back sound stronger than the reasons for staying.
    Uncle Larry

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, December 08, 2007 7:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page