Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Emerald Buddha










Now, for the Thailand part of my trip. I continued on the next part of my trip to Bangkok with two JET’s from Wakayama, Stacy and Susanne. We were all on the PEPY trip as well, and decided to have a 6-day layover in Thailand instead of a few hours. We arrived late on the 30th, so we headed straight to the, crappy, hotel and went to sleep. The next day we went to see the temples of Thailand. They are very different from the Cambodian temples. The temples in Cambodia are made of stone and some in ruins – exactly what I like to see. The Thailand temples, on the other hand, were all sparking with gold and gems. You could blind yourself if you weren’t careful. They were very pretty, but I prefer the Cambodian style.
The first temple we went to is called Wat Phra Kaeo, The Temple of the Emerald Buddha.” It had lots of gleaming gold buildings, and others encrusted with millions of little gems. It must have taken forever to stick them all on. In the same complex as the Emerald Buddha is the Royal Palace. It looked like quite a large residence, but who wants a whole bunch of strangers traipsing through your front yard on a daily basis.
These days were jam packed as well, so I will post pictures of each of the three temples we saw that day separately.

1 Comments:

  • The intricate work is fabulous, but I can see why you prefer the Cambodian temples. I wonder how the architects got the very top of the spires up there. I wonder if Buddha would approve of all that glitter. Aunty Marian

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page