Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Thursday, August 24, 2006

food!!






On Sat I went to dinner with my friend Kumi at this place called Billboard that has a 50's diner theme. There was lots of memorabelia covering the walls and 5o's music playing. The food was pretty good. It varied from spareribs, to oyaku don, to hamburgers. I went with the curry pizza with beef, potatoes, and cheese. It was actually really tasty. The crust was very thin and crunchy, like lavash. Kumi had a loco moco. It was pretty good too. Lots of dishes in Japan come with a barely cooked egg on it. Odd. Like in Paris? The picture was taken with my new camera, but I had left the flash off, and it was dusk, so it actually doesn't look that bad. A little out of focus. I'll keep testing it out.
In general the food here is great, but the weird thing is, it's all Japanese. :) I love Japanese food, but variety is good too. I've really liked getting the bento box type lunches at the markets. At Mike's suggeation, I tried a curry doughnut. It was so yummy! And some bad news, everyone thought I'd lose weight while I'm here. I don't think that's going to happen since one of the few foods I know how to ask for (and love) is "tonkatsu." Good, but fattening. One Japanese food I discovered here that I never heard of before is okonomiyaki. It's like grilled noodles with egg, and whatever meat and vegetables you want. I love the grilled udon noodles! Squishy!!
Last night I went to dinner with Kumi again and we tried a Korean restaurant called Jindari. The food was amazing and the place itself was beautiful. The lighting and jazz music created a very romantic mood (great place if I was on a date). The food was cooked table side. We had barbecue beef with bean noodles, mushrooms, and onions. It was soooo yummy! I will definitely go back! I love trying new restaurants, and here, they are all new!

3 Comments:

  • Wish I could go restaurant hopping with you. Mostly everything sounded good so far.

    Love you!!!!!!!!!!!mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, August 24, 2006 12:39:00 PM  

  • I have so much fun reading all of your entries. I was giggling at my desk reading about the bike, the food and the fast eating man. One of my co-workers said I was having too much fun.
    Auntie Tricia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, August 26, 2006 10:24:00 AM  

  • That beautiful wall in the Korean restaurant (I think that was the place) reminds me of the water wall in Bombay in Hillcrest. (You know me, always making connections between the known and the unknown!)

    :)I'm loving living vicariously through you...thanks for Blogging...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 28, 2006 12:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page