Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Wakayama Castle






I finally made it to the castle today! This is Wakayama's pride and joy. I don't know much of the history behind it, but I think it is where the feudal lords lived. There was a sign talking about how the top level was destroyed in an accidental fire and rebuilt. The year it happened was during WWII, and I read somewhere else that it was actually bombed. Interesting perception of what happened. From my apt, you can see the castle, and vice-versa. Hopefully you can see the ocean in the picture. It is very close. I think I'm closer to the water now than I was in San Diego. It was a bit overcast today, but soooo humid and hot. We all just sweat buckets!
Our little friend in the picture is a HUGE bug that makes lots and lots of noise. Maybe someone can remind me of it's name, but it is their mating season, and they have a shreiking chirp that is so loud it can hurt your ears when there's lost of them. You can't really tell from the picture, but it is about 3-4 in long. And they poop and pee on you from the trees. And scare the crap out of me.

3 Comments:

  • The pictures are beautiful but the bugs are too big. (Is it the cicada?) Now you're making me rethink my trip. Just how often are they around? Kind of scary they're in the trees. I guess I could just not walk in the shade. :)

    Miss you lots. Love you!!!!!!!!!mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, August 13, 2006 4:50:00 AM  

  • So I'll ask the question that I'm sure is on everyone else's mind ... When does the actual "work" start? Your partying reminds me of the week before school starts, when there is no class and we would all just stay up and party.

    Those are definitely cicadas ... I was there in August 1990 and they were everywhere. What can be fun is finding their discarded exoskeleton - or skin - and stick them on you. Take a picture of that!

    By Blogger Justin Kanoya, at Tuesday, August 15, 2006 1:17:00 AM  

  • Happy belated b-day, Leilani! Sorry I'm late :( I just got back from Vegas. Hope you had a wonderful day! May all your b-day wishes come true :)

    Love, Deanna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page