Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Fireworks






On Tuesday night, some of my Japanese friends invited me to a fireworks festival in Hashimoto. It was part of the obon celebration. Many were in kimonos (I totally want to wear one!). I have never seen so many people in my life. There is a picture when we were on the train (a little blurry I know). My first train ride, and I got to share it with one million other people. Actually, this was taken on the way to the festival. The way home was worse. But, at least I feel a little more confident in taking the train. At the festival there were hundreds of booths with food, toys, and games. There was a large river that we crossed over to get to the festival, and floating on the river were candlelit lanterns, very pretty. I included a few shots of the fireworks (just for you Shelley!). The finale was a shower of fireworks down the center of the river. It looked like a bright white waterfall. Absolutely stunning! Then nine billion of my closest friends and I rode the train home. It was a fun evening.
On a different note, I want everyone to sign up for “skype.” It is a phone service that you use over the internet. If you talk skype to skype, the call is FREE! Then you can talk to me all the way over here! To sign up is free too. Great for those moving away to college (hint hint Christina). All you need is a headset and a mic. The website is www.skype.com. I just talked to dad to wish him a happy birthday, and he could hear me quite well. Did I mention that if you get skype too then we can talk for FREE?

4 Comments:

  • What is the time difference? That way I call you when we are both awake.
    Tamlyn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, August 18, 2006 10:44:00 AM  

  • Will look into skype later. Have to read all that stuff and my eyes are tired.

    Glad you had fun at the festival. Were the food booths only Japanese food?

    Take care. Love you!!!!!!!!!!!mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, August 18, 2006 1:33:00 PM  

  • So, you really enjoyed the train ride, in the jam-packed train car! You aren't just a little bit claustrophobic, are you? Think if you were the same height as the other billion people in the same car with you.
    (Uncle Larry)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:42:00 AM  

  • Skype....very good. Leilani, it sounds as if you are having a fabulous experience and great time...good short term and long term memories in the making! :) You are a greatly adventurous eater - well, more so than moi, the freakishly timid vegetarian! :) I'm gonna look into the Skype...maybe we could arrange a group call...can it work like that?? Stay phun!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 28, 2006 12:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page