Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Friday, March 21, 2008

Head, shoulders, knees, and crap






Since the school year is ending here in Japan, I have very few classes and luckily I was sent to the nearby Elementary school for 3 days last week. The previous Friday, I received some lesson plans from the teachers at the school. It was very kind of the teachers to make these plans, but of course the errors are surely worth some recognition.
As I read, I giggled over funny little spelling mistakes, until I came to the song I was supposed to sing with the 1st and 3rd graders. I grew up with the version “Head, shoulders, knees, and toes,” so I was thoroughly confused at what could have possible been mistaken with “crap.” As with all lessons to elementary students, you use lots of gestures and visuals. I was scared. I even asked a few friends what else it could have possible meant. Maybe it was a cruel joke by a previous ALT? But, oh I couldn’t wait for class Monday morning!
So after my self-introduction, their introductions, an ABC song (which also wasn’t the version I learned, so all the kids looked at me as if I was stupid when I couldn’t sing my ABC’s – rightfully so!), and reviewing the body parts, we got to sing “Head, shoulders, knees, and crap.” And then I realized – oh, clap! Hee hee! Probably the funniest l-r mistake I have ever seen. And if you don’t have “Head, shoulders, knees, and crap” stuck in your head for the next 3 days, you are missing out!
But, seriously, I had the best time at the elementary school. The teachers, staff, and especially the students were so friendly and happy. And oddly enough, my favorite classes were the 1st graders. I had so much fun with them. They were the cutest kids ever! Maybe I can be a tad more open about teaching positions I’m willing to take at my next school. Wherever that may be!
The pictures are with the 3rd graders. I figured they would be ok to post since they are all wearing masks. At the elementary schools, the students put on smocks, bonnets, and face masks to serve lunch to their classmates. I was lucky enough to join them, and this lunch was my favorite! If anyone can tell me how to make those beans, I would love the recipe. They had a crunchy and sweet coating and were delicious. I wish I could’ve had a little more.

2 Comments:

  • That should go into Reader's Digest.

    You might love the little ones. For many years I chose the upper grades. Then when I decided to try the lower grades, I really loved it.
    Second grade is really ideal. I will explain why by email. Aunty Marian

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, March 22, 2008 9:32:00 PM  

  • knees and crap - Yes, sir, I think that needs to be immortalized on T-shirts, posters, magazines, a sitcom, and maybe a movie. I have absolutely never seen any mis-heard English anywhere ever in any country that comes anywhere close to that!
    Uncle Larry

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page