Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Straight Burger with a scared Japanese man on the side

I decided to go for a bike ride today and visit the department store down the road. It probably takes about 20-30 min. After shopping for a while, I went to the food court for lunch and got a hamburger from a place called "Straight Burger." As opposed to...?. After I sat down (with my first hamburger since I've been here) and began eating, a Japanese guy about my age motioned if he could join me at my table. The place was pretty crowded. Of course I said yes. He put his tray down, and went off again for something else. While he was gone I started to get a little nervous thinking that he might want to make small talk, and I still don't know any Japanese. I debated getting out my phrase book and quickly looking up something to say. He found his way back to the table, me smiling politely. He then proceeded to, in no more than one minute, inhale 6 takoyaki balls and his tea, got up and left. At no point was his head more than 6 inches away from his food, except when he drank the last of his tea. I was happy when he sat down, thinking that maybe I'm not a scary American. But after finishing his food in a record time that would have shamed even the best competition eaters, I think maybe I did scare him a little. Oh well, maybe I'll have better luck at Gay Burger. hee hee!

3 Comments:

  • Wait, is there NO Hamburger Mary's there?! Perhaps that's our calling...gay burger Asia-Style!?!

    Hillcrest misses you, Leilani...I'm working on getting a Coffee Bean, Tea Leaf beverage once a week in your honor....to keep it from scabbing over (was that too gross??)

    OK, I guess I need my coffee...my GAY coffee! ;)
    We're looking up flights to see you...how's your holiday season?! Screw unemployment...we'll put it on our visa! (Isn't that what they're for??)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 28, 2006 12:33:00 AM  

  • I'm sure that it's just that he was really really pressed for time. If he was scared, he would have sat somewhere else, right? I mean, there had to be one other seat somewhere - wasn't there? Anyway, he'll have a story to tell. If you get to be a regular at certain places, people will start to watch for you. Hmm. Is that good, or bad?
    (Uncle Larry)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:29:00 AM  

  • Another point, if he was scared, he wouldn't have left his food alone at the table with you...he'd not have given you the chance to poison him, or something... ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page