Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Saturday, December 09, 2006

"me" update

Just a little update on some other stuff.
Last week I started a new school, Meiwa. It is in Wakaura, right next to where I take hula lessons. This week the Jr. high students were testing for the first three days, so I FINALLY went to visit an elementary school. I had 2nd graders on Mon and 4th graders on Wed. Guess which I liked best? Actually, they were all super adorable. And I didn�t make anyone cry � yay! And once again, I had to do my self-introduction to the 2nd graders, but these kids can�t speak English. So I basically talked to myself for about 10 min. Ok, I guess they knew a little English, like fruit names including �pineapple,� which they all screamed and shouted at when they saw one in one of my family pictures. So after my intro, I was supposed to play �Fruit Basket� with them. Since nobody could speak English, including the teachers, I was at a loss as to how to play. So I was supposed to call out a fruit name and the kids would switch seats. Turns out it is like musical chairs, but with no music, only fruit. Well, being in the mush pot, I was supposed to find a seat too, which I didn�t realize, so the teacher made a boy get out of his chair to let me sit down. Stupid foreigner! I thought for sure he would be the first crier, but he took it in stride. The kids were so cute. When I sat next to one of the girls, they would squeal and hold my hand. I can�t tell you how many germs�. oh, I just can�t talk about it. Then a couple girls wanted to hold hands and sit next to me, which resulted in my arm almost being wrenched off and scratched by a couple of 7 year olds. I reminded them I had two arms, and all was right in the world again.
The fourth graders were, of course, my favorite. After my self-introduction (with more shouts of �pineapple!�), we played �Color Basket.� Oh they couldn�t trick me this time, because I already knew how to play �Fruit Basket!� But this time, the teacher motioned to me to get out of the circle and stand outside it. �Dangerous,� he said. Now they tell me.
With the 2nd graders, I couldn�t answer any of their questions. I felt so bad because they would bound up to me gleefully asking me something, then walked away so dejected when I couldn�t understand them. But for some reason, I could understand many of the 4th graders questions. And they were in Japanese!! Yay for me!
I had so much fun. I really hope I get to visit some more elementary schools.
I also visited an onsen for the first time last weekend. An onsen is a natural hot spring. There are many here in Japan. My hula teachers took me along with her daughter and a few women from Fri night�s class. For those of you who don�t know, you do not wear clothes at an onsen. The only thing I was a little self conscious about was my tummy, but I just didn�t think about it. It was very relaxing, and I can�t wait to go again! Next time in the snow, with monkeys! Sorry, no pictures in this blog :)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page