Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Sunday, November 19, 2006

My First Visitors! Part 2












It seems that each week I have something new and exciting to show my hula class. This week it was my family! Everyone was quite excited to meet these “Hawaiians.” They left dad alone, but asked Georgie to come and join us for a few songs. She obliged. Dad sat back and took some photos. After class, some of us went to a coffee shop across the street and chatted for a while. Luckily, Akemi was there to do quite a bit of translating for us. This hula group is so warm and welcoming, I was glad that my parents could meet them.
The following day, we took a very long train ride down to the southern part of Wakayama to visit Nachi Falls. As in all of Japan, there are also shrines and temples there. But this is the largest waterfall in Japan. It is nestled in the mountains, with clouds of mist all around. Quite beautiful. Oh, and there were also about eight billion steps. One thing we have all noticed is that the people in Japan are generally very kind and helpful. There are also many who like to practice English, so when they see a foreigner, they are anxious, and a little nervous, to say “hi.” On the train ride over, and the bus ride up the mountain, dad and Georgie talked to a few people. It was funny because all through our walks in Nachi, people waved and said hello to us. We recognized most from the bus, and I think some were just friendly strangers. Dad had a three hour conversation with a Japanese man on the train ride home, with the aide of a dictionary, and lots of gestures and drawings. I could hear them giggling away as I tried to sleep about 10 rows in front of him.
Oh, and I won a bag from "Bearded Papas" but I was also excited about the cream puffs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page