Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Friday, October 27, 2006

Belly dancing in Wakayama





Although Japan is still very monocultural (I know I just made up a word), I am able to find some different events. My friends/adult English students dance in a belly dancing group. They performed on the beach last weekend, so my friend and I went to see Chise (green) and Yuka (orange). It was a short, but very nice show. It was similar in many ways to the Tahitian dancing I did in my old group.
I also took a picture of a group of old women gaping at the belly dancing. Japanese people are really weird about showing skin. Every time I walk out my door without sleeves, everyone (including strangers standing in their yard) insist that I am cold and should put on a sweater. It’s like having a country full of overprotective moms.
But then on the other hand, the high school girls (and some jr. high) wear skirts up to about 1 inch from their butt. Strange.

1 Comments:

  • Yeah, I'm really impressed, and surprised, that these Japanese young women are brave enough to show their midriffs. On our trip to Japan, walking through huge crowds at malls and train stations, there was exactly one girl wearing a top short enough, and a skirt low enough, to show some skin, but as Leilani notes, skirts are often really short. Our guide said the girls who go to private schools keep their skirts nearly knee length, while the girls at public school wear their skirts lots shorter. And, out of uniform, you see a whole lot of short skirts with high heels with over-the-knee socks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, November 08, 2006 3:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page