Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Jack-o-Lanterns

Halloween in Japan is gaining popularity, but is still not like in America. On Thursday, the two little girls I tutor and I carved pumpkins together. The older girl is Neo (10) and the younger one is Moze (7). The pumpkins were quite large for Japan. I took the smaller one. I was cutting the smile, but I accidentally cut off two of the teeth, so my little pumpkin was left with only one.
The girls had fun cleaning out the pumpkin and making it’s face. They also love posing for the camera with silly faces.
On the way to their house, the pumpkins and I had a little run-in with a pole. As I was riding my bike, a small pole didn’t get out of my way as I was looking at a building on my left, so I had a small crash. Luckily my leg wedged between the pole and my bike and I came to an abrupt stop. The only damage was a warped front basket and a small bruise. But you should see the pole! :)

2 Comments:

  • Can I get a t-shirt made with that picture of Moze and the pumpkin? AWESOME shot! :) The little chicky on her scarf looks like it's doing the same sort of action as she is doing...Leilani, you need to publish a book with these photos! They're great! And your commentary, quite smart.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, October 30, 2006 1:20:00 AM  

  • Great pumpkins! Your students are very cute. I especially like the picture of the younger girl cleaning out the pumpkin.

    I had a lot of fun carving with my junior high students. They were able to design their own faces and then combine them into one class pumpkin. We got some very abstract faces out of that experiment.

    By Blogger Susanne M, at Tuesday, November 07, 2006 6:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page