Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Sunday, November 26, 2006

An American Thanksgiving in Japan





I am going to have to continue my blogs about my parent’s trip later, because I wanted to write a little bit about Thanksgiving. Now it just so happens that this year, the holiday in Japan “Thanking” people for all their hard work fell on the same day as our Thanksgiving. I usually spend the day with my mom and my aunts, uncles, and cousins in Sacramento, but that trip would be a little difficult this year. I was going to be content just having the day off and relaxing, but I decided to share a little bit of American culture with some of my adult English students. Theo came with Shogo, so it was nice to have some friends too. I think Theo liked having a little bit of home cooked food here in Japan also. Although he is from the south, so I was a little afraid to make him fried chicken! But he said it was good.
As always, I planned too much to do for myself, but I think it all worked out. A few days before, I cut out some maple leaves out of heavy felt and glued a picture of each guest on to the front, and a magnet on the back. I put “Happy Thanksgiving” and the date. These were for each person to take home as a little memento. When the guests arrived (8 total) we made turkeys out of pinecones, nuts, felt, and pipe cleaners. I spent most of the time in and out of the kitchen, but they turkeys were quite cute and I heard lots of giggling. Finally, dinner was served. Here is the menu. For appetizers, I made Deviled Eggs (which no one had had before), cheese, crackers, and sparkling apple cider. Dinner was fried chicken (no turkey in Japan), garlic mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, salad, stuffing with cranberries, pine nuts, and pumpkin seeds, and croissants. I am very proud to say it was all homemade (no boxed mixes here in Japan!), except for the cheese and croissants. I did ask the guests to bring dessert so I wouldn’t completely kill myself. Everyone really enjoyed the food. I made way too much as always, so everyone took home doggie bags for themselves or their husbands.
Many people told me how impressed they were at the crafts and amount of food we had. It was a good time for everyone.
I hope everyone back home had a wonderful celebration with their friends and family as well.

3 Comments:

  • Leilani-
    What a wonderful Thanksgiving! :) Your mementos and craft concept were very sweet details...I'd expect nothing less from you. :) We had a great time with family, but were thinking of our friends far away. I'm glad you spent the day with kind people who enjoyed your company and efforts. We miss you and are thankful for you and your friendship!!
    :) And, by the way, there's no turkey at a vegetarian's table, either...or maybe we were pretending to be Japanese for the day??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, November 27, 2006 1:39:00 AM  

  • Beautiful Thanksgiving! I bet it was a lot of fun for all (lots of work for you!) It looks special enough that a local TV news crew could have been invited in to capture it for the evening news.
    (Uncle Larry)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, November 28, 2006 7:19:00 AM  

  • I am impressed with all of that Thanksgiving dinner with all of the fixings, plus crafts. We missed you this year, but thought of you often. (Auntie Tricia)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, November 29, 2006 5:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page