Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Hula

I keep forgetting to write a blog entry about my new hula group! The name is Keola. I have had three lessons so far, and this week the teacher’s asked me to show them a few songs that I know. I’m not used to dancing by myself in front of people.
The teachers and other members are so friendly and nice. One girl has picked me up every week, and I just met her. She also doesn’t speak English, so the car ride is interesting. Lots of gestures, which while she’s driving makes me nervous.
The group, is very happy to have a foreigner join. They were all so excited to see my style of dancing. When we started doing basics, they all clapped and all eyes were on me the whole time. Since they only speak Japanese (except the dance commands in Hawaiian) I don’t understand what they’re saying, but I heard my name about every 5 seconds that first day. My friend, Akemi, who is taking lessons too, has translated for me, and all the comments have all been very nice. The teacher had said many times that she envies me because I look Hawaiian. Last week, they dressed me up in all sorts of lei’s just to see what I looked like in them. It’s kind of funny. By next week, I think my novelty will have worn off, and things should go back to normal. But it’s kinda fun being the center of attention.
We are learning a new song now called “Moku Kia Kahi.“ I like the teacher’s teaching style. She goes over everything slowly, and many times. There are about 6 old songs that they review each week that I don’t know, so another girl from the group, Kana, said she would help Akemi and I. As I dance, I feel very happy and content. I’m so glad I have joined this halau while I’m here in Japan. This feels like how a hula group should be, like family, not full of cattiness like my old group.
The two teachers will be in Hawaii for a couple weeks, learning some new dances. I wish I could go with them!

1 Comments:

  • I'm so happy that you're enjoying your classes and your halau. I think you'll make some lifelong friends there. I know I have at mine.

    Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, October 06, 2006 12:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page