Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Friday, September 22, 2006

Engrish Signs

As I’m sure most of you know, Japanese translations can be quite amusing. I decided to create some different blog pages dedicated to things I find entertaining, and hopefully you will too. This page has signs that I have seen around Japan.

I think it was fate that we ended up at the Hearton Hotel on our Madonna weekend. Check out the name of the convention hall! For those of you who don’t know, Sumire is my middle name. And for the last time, it means “violet” not “violent.”


I was just happy to see a sign with mom’s maiden name on it. I did not try any Ogawa Coffee, but I’m sure it is great. The staff was very kind and kept trying to make me sit down even though I was just looking around to see if there was any “Ogawa” merchandise.


Patisserie Tooth Tooth is a small dessert shop in Kobe. The cakes looked amazing, and they probably are pretty bad for your teeth.



Hair Make Love is a hair salon near my apartment. At least I think it’s a hair salon…



I wonder where they go to do experiments?



I think even more frightening than eating a flesh cake, is having it served in the old converted church we were in.



On our bathroom door in the Hearton Hotel, this sign was posted. Keep in mind smoking is permitted in the room, so I guess “a” smoke detector really only detects the dangerous steam, not actual smoke.

And don’t worry, my search is not over yet!

1 Comments:

  • I read an eloquent article saying that a lot of funny "Engrish" signs (like Patisserie Tooth Tooth) should be interpreted like free verse, poetry that gives a feeling, rather than any kind of translation that might be expected to make sense. The smoke alarm sign is pretty funny, and not just for grammatical reasons - as you point out.

    Uncle Larry

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, September 27, 2006 11:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page