Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Monday, June 04, 2007

Hula Show
















This past Sunday I performed in my first hula show here in Japan. My hula group, Keola, has both Friday and Saturday classes. I am in the Saturday class with about 15 other women. The Friday class has about 25. The show lasted about one and a half hours and we danced 18 songs. I danced in 5, including my first ever solo. Most of the dances went pretty well, there was only one song that none of us knew very well, so we all looked horrible. As nervous as I was to do my solo, in a way it was a little easier because no one knew if I made a mistake. Of course I’ll be able to tell how I did once I see the DVD. As you know, smiling is probably the most important thing you need to do while dancing, and it is also very difficult for me to do on stage. I tried my best to keep a natural smile on my face, but it really helped to see friendly faces in the audience. A few of my friends came to support me, and I really appreciated that. It really means a lot to me that they took the time to come out and watch me dance for the first time in a foreign country! I was so nervous, but each time I saw one of my friends smiling back at me, it made me smile even wider and helped me relax a little. I also invited some of my adult students, so a few of them were there to support me as well. And of course Sumi was there too. Rose was kind enough to feed and watch over him while I got ready and danced. He slept through the entire performance. I am so thankful Rose was there to take care of him. And thanks to Scott, who was my official photographer.
Rose and I spoke afterwards about how kind everyone in the group is. They did a good job making everyone feel welcome. They show was well organized, and I think the audience enjoyed themselves. My friend Akemi, who danced too, always helps me out with translating. This was her first show ever, and she did a great job. Our friend Chieko gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers.
Overall, it was a successful show, and I appreciate all my friends who came out to support me. And for those of you in the States, I’ll bring the DVD if you want to see me dance!
I think the picture of Sumi and me is my favorite because he is sticking his tongue out, but couldn’t someone have told me I had lipstick on my teeth! Thanks. Maybe that’s why everyone was staring at me on stage!
For those of you who were there and took pictures, send them to me! I’d love to see and share them.

4 Comments:

  • You look great!Keep sending pictures and descriptions, we are enjoying them so much. Aunty Marian

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, June 05, 2007 12:24:00 AM  

  • Wow! It looks amazing! I wish I could have made it. I hope you will share the DVD with me sometime. How nice of them to put something like that together for you. By the way, if the DVD is bare-bones, I can put one together for you that has great menus, picture albums, and anything else you would like to add to it. Just let me know.

    By Blogger Theo, at Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:05:00 PM  

  • Hi! Love your costumes. I wish I could have been there to see you, even though it would have been hard to see through all the tears. "That's my girl in the middle!" :)

    Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:42:00 PM  

  • LOL! The pictures are (all) wonderful. I didn't read more than the first sentence of the blog (I was browsing for more news/pix on Sumi and was excited by the "Hula Show" title) before I looked at all the pictures, and one of the first things I thought was "Man, what a beautiful smile and a great job of smiling she's doing while dancing!" So you may think you have a hard time of it, but to the rest of us it looks like you're doing great! Looks like a beautiful show. Congrats to you and your hula sisters.
    Daniel (your mom's hula brother)

    By Blogger Pono650, at Sunday, June 24, 2007 10:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page