Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Toyko part 2









For our next day trip, Craig and I headed to Nikko. It is a historical city outside of Tokyo. The train trip was about 2 ½ hours from Tokyo, but it was a beautiful ride. We also saw many people taking pictures of our train as it went by. I didn’t think it was that interesting. And when I say many, I mean about 20-30 people all along the way.
Since we were only there for the day, we just stayed in the main area with the temples. There are also waterfalls and scenic hikes, but we didn’t have time for that. I was surprised to see so many temples in one spot. The most famous one has carvings of three monkeys, one covering his eyes, one his ears, and one his mouth. I haven’t been able to figure out why it is such a big deal. The three monkeys are the symbol for Nikko. Pretty much all the explanations for everything was in Japanese, but the buildings and forested area were beautiful to look at. So not much to write about, just pictures to look at. Enjoy!

1 Comments:

  • How cool! You've seen the original 3 monkeys....hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. I think those are the 3 keys to happiness...DENIAL! ;) My mom had a silver pin made of those monkeys growing up...they helped form my foundation of no listening to gossip & no participating in gossip. :) By the way, did you hear about....

    ha ha!

    Keep on exploring!! We're still missing you here!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, May 14, 2007 12:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page