Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Thursday, June 07, 2007

すみ





 
So there has been much debate over whether or not Sumi is actually a cat. When I first got him, people thought he looked like these various animals: a bear, bat, mongoose, panda, rat, panther, leopard, hamster, or Maori warrior. Well, hopefully he is starting to look more cat-like, although a panther would be really cool, just a bit large, and perhaps a tad dangerous.

Whenever I get up from the couch to go to another room, I come back to find a small black fur ball has taken my seat.
Yesterday, I went to buy baby shampoo for Sumi to give him a bath. I saw two bottles of Johnson & Johnson, so I chose the clear one because I figured that it would be gentler. So after a small accident, or puddle I should say, he needed a bath. So I opened up the bottle, and squirted some in the water. I don’t want to scare Sumi with the water, so I dipped his feet in lowered him in slowly and started to rub the soap on him. Then I started to notice that Sumi was getting very slippery. His belly was very soft and slick, but not soapy. I realized then that I had bought baby oil, and was stupidly trying to bathe my cat in it. I apologized profusely and quickly gave him a real soaping up with dish soap. So much for a gentle bath. I am pretty sure I got all the soap off, and he doesn’t really lick his fur, so I don’t think he’ll get sick or anything. I feel really bad. But the label was in Japanese! Although I did look at it again and I could read the Katakana, I just didn’t. So he is taking a long nap, or he is ignoring me. I wouldn’t be surprised at either.
This is why I don’t want children!!

If you look really closely, you can see a wet puddle under Sumi, next to the littler box. Well, at least that is closer than the couch, my bed, and the book shelf. By the way he is giving me dirty look because he's still mad about the baby oil bath. His fur is really soft though!

By the way, I promise this won’t turn into a cat blog, at least not until I have 10 more cats and am old and single. Uh oh.
In the meantime, I am enjoying having a baby kitten. He is way more work than I imagined, but totally worth it, at least it is until he eats my face.

3 Comments:

  • Sumi is looking distinctly cat like now, before he was so tiny and with that black fur, it was hard to tell. I think the main concern with washing them is not to dry out the natural oils on their fur too much with soap. The pet stores sell stuff here. I imagine the mama cat does the job at first, so you are kind of doing that. They don't like water much, but I imagine Sumi is too small to bite and claw much. Our book suggested a hair dryer, so I tried it on Mindy. Bad idea.
    Auntie Tricia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, June 08, 2007 2:58:00 AM  

  • Love that picture on the couch!!! He is so precious. You're doing a great job.

    Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, June 08, 2007 10:19:00 AM  

  • Baby oil bath! That is so adorable...good new mom story. :) Keep at it and maybe he'll turn into a sea otter, or something with water resistant fur. I couldn't quite place that Sumi looked like a different animal, but he does have a mature look, or something...like he knows more than just a regular kitten. ?? Maybe he's psychic or something - but then he'd have known about the baby oil. Well, I don't know. Good luck and, given the dish soap bath, at least you got off any baked on food!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page