Leilani's Japanese Adventure

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My Weekend




Well, I don't know if you all are keeping up with your Japan news, but we have had a few natural disasters this weekend. None of which affected me luckily. There was a 6.8 earthquake, but it was pretty far north of me, so I didn't feel a thing. Then there was a typhoon that hit Okinawa and Kyushu pretty badly, but turned before it made it to Wakayama. We had lots of rain and a thunderstorm last night, but I am not sure if that was related to the hurricane.
So, I played it safe and cancelled my trip sown south for a Fire Festival in Nachi. Although with all the rain, it would have been a wet stick festival.
Sumi had his first vaccination on Wed, and his first play date on Monday. I took Sumi to the place he will be staying while I am gone to meet my friend and her cats. Sumi is still young and naive, and I'm not entirely sure that he knows he's a cat, so he wasn't even paying attention to them. But the two "queen" cats (one is 14, and the other about 9) hissed at my poor little baby. He looked too tiny next to them! But he seemed pretty comfortable in the house and quickly found two places he liked to hide in. My friend and her family love cats, so I am sure he will be well taken care of while I am gone.
Also on Monday, which was a holiday here, the Jr. High schools in Wakayama City had a basketball tournament. I am at Kishi now, and the basketball coach took me to the game to watch. Before you all get too excited, the coach is a 22-year-old girl. She is super nice, and exactly the same height as me! Since all the schools were playing, I was also able to watch 3 of my other schools as well. Kada (the smallest) lost, Nishiwaki lost, but Kishi and Fukko won, and played each other at 4pm later that day. I couldn't stay for the second game, but Kishi won. So now they move on to the prefectural game next weekend. It was lots of fun, and I surprised many students by coming because no one from the other schools knew I would be there. The girls made good cheerleaders in the audience, and cried their little eyes out when the boys lost. It was weird. I do have pictures, but I realized that I shouldn't post pictures of the students without their parents permission, and instead of alerting them all to my website, I figure it is easier to just not put up their pictures.
So I had a nice weekend. This is my last week of school before summer break (YES we are still in school!!). I leave for Hawaii on July 26th, and California on Aug 1st. I will be very busy trying to visit as many people as I can, so it will not be relaxing, but I am excited to see and talk with everyone!!
So, more pictures of Sumi and his crooked tail.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page